Our 'little book that could' has turned out to be an extraordinary success, approaching 40,000 copies. After initially being advised that a parable about accounting would never work, it was gratifying to see how this friendly book seemed to really touch a nerve with people.
One of the cool things about having an eBook available through Amazon, is that they can report on the most reader-highlighted snippets from the book, and here are the top 5.
- "It doesn’t matter if an asset is cash or an asset bought with cash, what defines an asset is value. Basically, if it has value, it’s an asset.” [150 highlighters]
- "Accounting, like my silverware drawer, is simply a way to organize information to tell a meaningful story and make better informed business decisions.” [145 highlighters]
- “Equity represents the owner’s share of the assets once all of the liabilities have been met. The amount of equity is calculated as the leftover amount, or residual.” [124 highlighters]
- “You must always have two effects on the storyboard: both effects may be increases, both may be decreases, or one an increase and one a decrease." [105 highlighters]
- “Assets are valuable, we can measure what they cost us, and they will bring benefits to our business as we use them in the future. Assets can be used directly or indirectly by the business to earn money." [98 highlighters]
What was your favourite snippet?
- Mark Robilliard, Color Accounting International